The Girard Township Zoning Administrator administers the Township Zoning Ordinance in accordance with its literal terms, and shall not have the power to permit any construction or any use or change of use that does not conform to this Ordinance. Construction or uses that require a variance shall be issued a zoning permit or use certificate only after approval by order of the Zoning Hearing Board. Construction or uses that require Planning Commission and Board of Supervisor review as land development under the Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance shall be permitted following final approval by the Board of Supervisors. Conditional Uses shall only be issued after a hearing and final approval by the Board of Supervisors.

For permits, call ahead of time to make sure the Zoning Administrator is in:

814-774-4738 x101
M-F 8am-4:30pm

As a rule of thumb, everything in the Township, with the exception of a set of stairs, DOES require a zoning permit! If it is above ground, whether it is moveable or not, it requires a zoning permit. Fences, decks, lean-to’s, carports, gazebos, sheds, pools – all require a zoning permit. You may also be required to get a building permit in accordance with the PA UCC (Uniform Construction Code). The Zoning Administrator will tell you at the time of your zoning permit application if this will be required; it will depend on what you are building and the size.

Things that do not require a permit: swing sets, play sets, tree stands, a standard set of steps with no deck, dog houses, fire pits, patios flush with the ground.

You will be required to fill out a stormwater management project application in conjunction with your permit application. Any structure creating new impervious area that water will run off, will require this application. If your project will create under 5,000 square feet of impervious area you will be able to fill out a Small Project Application (click button to the right); over 5,000 square feet of impervious area will require a more indepth stormwater management plan. Note: Gravel IS impervious.

If you are putting in a driveway, you will need to stop into the office to obtain a driveway permit. Our roadmaster will tell you if a sluce pipe is needed and if so, what size. If this is a new location he will also determine if the driveway meets the line of site regulations. The fee for a driveway permit (on township roads only) is $25.00.

If you have a complaint about a neighbor: You must put your complaint in writing, list the complaint in detail along with the person’s name and address and turn it in, with your signature, to the Zoning Administrator or a Supervisor. In order for a complaint to be acted upon it must be in writing and signed.


text goes here…